Do you know your challenges? Blog Post 6

Let us assume that you have worked really hard to prepare a fantastic CV that has enabled you to get shortlisted for the first round of interview.

Congratulations! You are now one step closer to being hired.

How confident are you that you will be able to the clear the first round?

The first round of interview is usually with the HR of the company. The standard first question a HR asks is ‘Tell me about yourself’.

Even before you have finished with the first two lines of your answer, recruiter has already decided whether or not to consider you for further interview rounds.

In essence, you have only about 30-60 seconds to prove that you are a worthy enough candidate for the position you have applied for.

First, let us understand the recruiter’s purpose behind asking this question.

The purpose here is simple. It is to test the confidence, enthusiasm and passion with which you answer the question. It is to test how well you build rapport and how articulate you appear.

Please remember that the recruiter is not interested in your personal details. Do not start with ‘My name is xxxxxx… I belong to a family of four … my father is a pilot … I was born in ….’

Recruiter is specifically focused on who you are in relation to the specific job for which you are applying. They realise that you are a fresher and that you cannot speak about any previous work experience.

Start your answer something along the lines of ‘I have recently graduated from xxxxxx college. I chose this subject as I have keen interest on ……. (justify your reasons for choosing the subject). I have really worked hard in my education. While I was pursuing my degree, I have ….. (share about your academic achievements and any other if you have). I am ….. (share about your special qualities). Focus on your key soft skills/technical skills you have that suits the job description.

Try to keep it very brief. Pause for a while to see how your recruiter responds. If there is a nod from the recruiter then continue to elaborate your answer. Feel free to ask if there is anything in particular the recruiter is looking to know about you. This will help set expectation and you can focus on what has been asked.

If you are able to answer this question and impress the recruiter, you will then be asked further questions.


What next?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you know your challenges? - Blog post 5

What are the reasons for your failure in academics?

Do you know your challenges? - Blog Post 3